In this fun and yummy science experiment, you'll learn how to make an edible candy crystal forming around a string, a perfect diy project for holiday celebration to decorate Christmas trees with real sweets you can eat!
What you need
- cane sugar
- microwave safe container
- glass jar
- food coloring
Note: adult supervision is recommended.
How to make it
- Pour 3 cups sugar into a microwave safe container
- Add 2 cups of water, stir it up thoroughly until the solution dissolves
- Set it on high inside microwave for 2 minutes, take it out and stir again
- Put in on microwave on high again for another 2 minutes, and stir one more time
- Add about 7 drops of food coloring of your choice (can be green, red, blue, orange, etc.) and stir again
- Transfer the whole solution to a glass jar
- Take the pencil and tie the string around the middle of it, then cut he string so its length is shorter the the height of the glass jarr
- Soak the string into the solution inside the jar, then take it out and lay it to dry on the sheet of was paper; wait for the solution to cool down to room temperature
- Soak the dry string into the solution again and leave it there for at least 1 week. Pull it out and watch miracle happen as the sugary liquid crystallize around the string!